Monday, March 15, 2010

No More Overtime

Several weeks ago, my watch fell apart.  The band on it just broke.  Now, that may not be a terribly bad thing for some people in some professions, but for a preacher, that's a bad thing.  Well, at least the people in the congregation probably think so.  I was actually starting to grow pretty fond of not wearing a watch during church.  No worry about time constraints, just go till you finish.  I was a liberating feeling.  Well, yesterday, our most faithful family in the church surprised me with a brand new watch.  Now, this wasn't a cheap, Wal-Mart watch, this was a really nice watch.  They said it was in honor of our being here a year and just to let me know how much they appreciated me and my family. That, and they were tired of me going so long. (They were just kidding about that part, I really didn't go any longer without the watch than I did with the watch.)  I was very grateful to them.  I thank the Lord for meeting needs for us when we have them.  What a blessing that He uses His saints to encourage others. It makes me want to go out and encourage someone else today.  Servant of God, just keep on serving Him.  People are watching.  God is watching.
 
It also really challenged me to be my very best for the church.  In essence, they gave me time.  They gave me a watch.  I want to invest that time wisely.  I want to invest it in a way that God can use us to do great things for His honor and glory.  I am reminded of Ephesians 5:16, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.  We all only have so much time to do a work for God.  If we are going to do anything, we must do it now.  We are not promised tomorrow.
 
By the way, I did tell them last night that they did good to buy the watch when they bought it. I told them usually on Sunday evenings I just preach until it is good and dark outside.  With this weekend being daylight savings time, that would have added an extra hour to the service.

No comments: